Topic: To Achieve Your Dream, Give It Up
“I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.” – Philippians 4:12-13 (NLT)
Rick Warren Daily Devotional 4 May 2022 MESSAGE
You’ll never achieve your dream until you learn to give it up. It sounds counterintuitive, but it’s true! When it comes to your dream, surrendering it to Jesus is always the safest decision you’ll ever make.
God typically takes your dream through six different stages. I’ve seen him do it countless times—in my own life and in the lives of others.
- Stage 1: God gives you a dream.
- Stage 2: You decide to go after the dream.
- Stage 3: Your dream is delayed.
- Stage 4: Your dream encounters difficulties.
- Stage 5: Your dream hits a dead end.
- Stage 6: God delivers your dream.
During each of these stages, you’re continuing to work on your dream. And at the same time, God is working on you.
More than anything else, God wants you to trust him. The apostle Paul says it like this: “I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength” (Philippians 4:12-13 NLT).
The Bible says emphatically that you can do anything, as long as you do it with God’s help or, as Paul says, “through Christ, who gives me strength.” You’ll need much more than positive thinking as you pursue your God-given dreams. You’ll need the power of God.
Many people have read one motivational book after another and still haven’t made progress toward their dreams. That’s because you don’t need stronger motivation. You need God’s supernatural help.
Have you been trying to make your dreams set sail on your own power? If so, I guarantee you’re getting nowhere—at least on the dreams that really matter in your life. When you’re the one powering it, the wind is dead.
Surrender your dreams to God. Let him give them the power to set sail.
Thank you for reading Rick Warren Daily Devotional 4 May 2022, PLAY today’s audio teaching from Pastor Rick >>
Talk It Over
- What does it mean to give Jesus your dreams?
- Why is it so difficult to consider surrendering your dreams to Jesus? What do you think you’re afraid of?
- What area of your dream have you not given to Jesus? What would it look like to surrender that to him today?