Topic: Jehovah Jireh
And Abraham called the name of that place JehovahJireh: as it is said to this day, In the mount of the LORD it shall be seen. – Genesis 22:14
1 Kings 17:12-16
12. And she said, As the LORD thy God liveth, I have not a cake, but an handful of meal in a barrel, and a little oil in a cruse: and, behold, I am gathering two sticks, that I may go in and dress it for me and my son, that we may eat it, and die.
13. And Elijah said unto her, Fear not; go and do as thou hast said: but make me thereof a little cake first, and bring it unto me, and after make for thee and for thy son.
14. For thus saith the LORD God of Israel, The barrel of meal shall not waste, neither shall the cruse of oil fail, until the day that the LORD sendeth rain upon the earth.
15. And she went and did according to the saying of Elijah: and she, and he, and her house, did eat many days.
16. And the barrel of meal wasted not, neither did the cruse of oil fail, according to the word of the LORD, which he spake by Elijah.
Open Heaven 5 November 2021 Devotional Message
The name Jehovah Jireh means The Lord will provide. This means God’s provision is guaranteed. David described this truth in Psalm 23:1: “The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.”
My prayer is that this will be your experience too, in Jesus name. Our God is more than able to meet all our needs. Even today, the Lord will miraculously meet those needs that may be about to put you to shame, in Jesus name. David had multiple experiences of God’s provision and they reflect in his numerous Psalms. For example, he describes the Lord God as:
“…A very present help in trouble.” – Psalm 46:1
God is always on time. If the Present Help in trouble had not shown up on time for the widow of Zarephath, as seen in our Bible text today, the story would have been like that of the woman who killed her child for food in 2 Kings 6:25-29.
However, for Jehovah Jireh to come to your aid, you need to have the same spiritual conviction exhibited by the widow. One of her virtues is that she believed in the God of Prophet Elijah. She knew that the God Elijah served is alive. She knew what He could do. She trusted in Him completely and was thus able to obey Elijah’s instructions. Her obedience led to her receiving the blessing of multiplication. The Bible says in 2 Chronicles 20:20 “…Believe in the Lord your God, so shall ye be established; believe his prophets, so shall ye prosper.”
Beloved, if we believe in this Great Provider, it will show in how we lead our lives. We would not doubt His promises and so would respond in faith to His directives. We would not be cutting corners in order to achieve things in life because the Bible says …Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed (Romans 10:11).
The God who provided for Abraham shall always be there for us. The widow in our story today was a woman of faith who believed in the God of Israel. She demonstrated this clearly through her respect for the man of God. Do you hold God in high esteem? If you do, it will show in how you treat your Pastor and the words of his mouth. May Jehovah Jireh be there for you always, in Jesus name.
Father, You are the only One who can provide for all my needs. Please send help to me today, in the mighty name of Jesus.
HYMN: In Christ Alone
1. In Christ alone my hope is found
He is my light, my strength, my song
This Cornerstone, this solid Ground
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm
What heights of love, what depths of peace
When fears are stilled, when strivings cease
My Comforter, my All in All
Here in the love of Christ I stand
2. In Christ alone! Who took on flesh
Fullness of God in helpless babe
This gift of love and righteousness
Scorned by the ones He came to save
Till on that cross as Jesus died
The wrath of God was satisfied
For every sin on Him was laid
Here in the death of Christ I live
3. There in the ground His body lay
Light of the world by darkness slain
Then bursting forth in glorious Day
Up from the grave He rose again
And as He stands in victory
Sin’s curse has lost its grip on me
For I am His and He is mine
4. No guilt in life, no fear in death
This is the power of Christ in me
From life’s first cry to final breath
Jesus commands my destiny
No power of hell, no scheme of man
Can ever pluck me from His hand
Till He returns or calls me home
Open Heaven 5th November 2021 | Pastor Adeboye | Daily Devotional Guide was written by Pastor E.A. Adeboye, the General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, one of the largest evangelical church in the world and also the President of Christ the Redeemer’s Ministries.